Safety and rules
Since it is a national park there are certain rules for visitors. The purpose of the regulations is to protect the valuable nature in Muddus/Muttos National Park. Keep in mind that mobile phone coverage is poor in Muttos.
You are not allowed to:
- Intentionally disturb grazing reindeer as well as the gathering and driving of reindeer
- Damage or take away soil, stones and plants, with the exception of berries and edible mushrooms
- Gather eggs and catch, injure or kill animals
- Hunt and fish unless this is expressly permitted by the regulations
- Bicycle or operate boats and motorised terrain vehicles anywhere except in designated areas and during certain periods
- Ride horseback and bring along dogs anywhere except in designated areas and during certain periods.
On Laponia's website you can find out what is involved if you wish to apply for an exemption or permit.
Reindeer husbandry rights, which allow the Sami people to make use of land and water for themselves and their animals, apply throughout the Laponia World Heritage Site – that is, the Sarek, Muddus/Muttos, Padjelanta/Badjelánnda and Stora Sjöfallet/Stuor Muorkke national parks and the Stubbá and Sjávnja nature reserves.